A healthy and filling vegan friendly dish that the whole family is sure to love! This recipe is full of plant based protein and lots of vitamins to make you feel all warm and cuddly inside. The spice level in this recipe can also be easily tailored to you and your family's taste.
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ Red onion diced
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1-3 tablespoon Thai red curry paste* see note
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 1 Cube Vegetable bouillon
- ½ teaspoon Rice vinegar
- ½ Cup Canned tomato sauce
- 1 Cup Chopped bell pepper red/yellow/orange
- 1 Can (540 mL) Chickpeas
- 1 Can (398 mL) Coconut milk* see note
- 1 Cup Bok choi Chopped (Optional)
In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add in diced onuon and minced garlic, saute until onion and garlic become fragrant.
Add in your red curry paste to taste and briefly saute for approx 1 minute to release the flavours. Mix in the brown sugar and bouillon cube. Break apart the bouillon cube and mix until all of the ingredients come together to form a really thick paste. Deglaze your pan with the rice vinegar.
Add in the tomato sauce, bell pepper, chickpeas, and coconut milk. Mix to combine. Keep skillet at medium heat and allow to come to a boil. Once the curry has come to a boil reduce heat to a simmer and allow to simmer until the curry has thickened.
Mix in the chopped bok choi if you would like, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- To control the spice level in your curry follow these guidelines. 1 tablespoon curry paste = Mild, 2 tablespoon curry paste = Medium, 3+ tablespoon curry paste = Hot.
- I prefer using full fat coconut milk, however you are free to use the lower fat version if you want to yield a lower fat dish.
- The book choi is optional. Make sure you add it in at the very end and only cook for approx 2-3 minutes.