These Spicy Tofu Sofritas Tacos are just like the chipotle version but without the price tag. Go ahead and humble brag about these deliciously spicy (and vegan) tacos because they're so delicious even the biggest tofu haters will be asking for seconds! Each taco is packed with a deliciously spicy tofu crumble, creamy avocado, pinto beans and Mexican spiced bell peppers. Try these as a healthy breakfast/lunch meal prep idea this summer.
What Makes These Spicy Tofu Sofritas Tacos so Amazing?
Let's be real for a sec, because I have something to confess. I could eat tacos for EVERY. SINGLE. MEAL! Who's with me!? I mean, aside from being obviously delicious, tacos can also be so versatile, healthy, filling, and satisfying. If you aren't deeply in love with tacos by now, we just cannot be friends. All jokes aside, this vegan taco recipe is good enough that you would think it's from Chipotle. Plus, you can't even tell its vegan. So, if you are someone who associates vegan food with icky food then try this recipe out, cause it'll for sure sway you.
Just wait, there's more to their amazingness:
- Insanely Flavorful
That's a lot of amazing things for a vegan taco, am I right? So, I guess the real question now is: are you running to the kitchen to make these yet???
Modifications and Substitutions
- Substitute tofu for chicken or beef: If you must substitute for chicken or beef, go ahead. However, going the tofu route is cheeper, just sayin'.
- Substitute the spices for taco seasoning: Using a packet of taco seasoning is perfectly fine in place of the cumin and chili powder. Go ahead and use the whole packet.
- Substitute the tortillas: Feel free to use any type of tortilla you wish. White, brown, gluten free, corn...any kind your heart desires. If you are looking for an interesting and healthy, easy, homemade tortilla recipe check out this 2 Ingredient Red Lentil Tortilla Recipe
- Modify the end product: No you don't have to make these into tacos. More on why you hate tacos later. But whatever the reason, feel free to ditch the tortillas all together and make a burrito bowl, salad, etc. The ground tofu would be delicious on top of a bed of greens too.
Check out our other amazing plant based recipes:
Please leave me a comment if you made this recipe and don’t forget to share a picture of your creation with @Fiftyshadesofyumm on Facebook and Instagram using #Fiftyshadesofyumm.
ENJOY AND HAPPY COOKING!
Spicy Tofu Sofritas Tacos | Chipotle Copycat
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Block Extra firm tofu
- 1 Bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 2 tablespoon Chili Powder see note
- ½ tsp Seasoned Salt
- ½ Can Tomato Paste
- ½ Lime juice of
- ¼ Cup Water
- 16 7" Tortillas
- 1 Can Pinto or black beans drained
- 1 Large Hass Avocado
- ¼ Large Red onion sliced
- Fresh cilantro to taste
- In a medium cast iron skillet heat up olive oil over medium high heat. Add In garlic and saute until it becomes fragrant. Add in the bell peppers and saute for 2 minutes. Add in the crumbled tofu and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Once the bell peppers and tofu have been cooking for a few minutes add in the water, cumin, chili powder, seasoned salt, tomato paste and lime juice. Saute over medium-high heat for another 5 minutes or until the mixture reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve on 7" tortillas and canned pinto/black beans. Top with avocado, red onion, cilantro or any of your favourite taco toppings. Enjoy!