The greatest of all time crispy oven baked french fries. If you're skeptical about getting oven baked fries as crispy as your favourite restaurant then look no further. This healthier french fry recipe is perfect for when you're craving those irresistibly golden fries but don't want to get take out. The best part is they are a set and forget kind of deal.
Let's Talk About What Makes These Crispy Oven Baked French Fries so Amazing!
We all crave French fries, ok? If you don't, then you're probably just lying or missing out on this crispy golden goodness. While there isn't anything particularly wrong with cravings, sometimes we just want to eat a healthier homemade version. But, we also don't want to fuss around in the kitchen forever because let's be real, we're all exhausted. While I can't promise this french fry recipe will be 100% comparable to McDonald's french fries, I can assure you it comes suuuper close. As close as an oven baked, reduced oil, homemade version can get.
So, here are some of the reasons why I love this crispy oven baked french fry recipe:
- Done in 30 minutes.
- SO CHRONCH
- Soft inside
- Less oily
- Healthier than takeout
- Bragging rights. Thats right. You made this awesomeness.
- Vegan, vegetarian and gluten free
Tips, Tricks, and Modifications
- Yes, you really have to blanch the potatoes first. If you don't do this they won't be as crispy. This is the "secret" to perfectly crisp french fries, so please don't skip it.
- Yes, you can add on other herbs and spices. I use this recipe as a base for all oven baked potatoes, so its super versatile. If you're looking for ideas garlic and parmesan would be a delicious seasoning combo to add.
- No, you don't have to peel the potatoes. I never peel the potatoes with this one. Mainly because I am lazy and just want to get these delicious fries into my belly ASAP. But, if you want to peel them go for it, that's fine too!
- If you've never tried it, use seasoned salt instead of regular salt. Once you try seasoned salt on anything, you'll never go back. Just sayin'.
- Don't overcrowd your baking pan. If you need to, use two pans and place them on separate racks in the oven. If you don't place the potatoes in a single layer it will either take much longer to get them to cook or won't ever get crispy.
Check out some other awesome recipes:
Please leave me a comment if you made this recipe and don’t forget to share a picture of your creation with @Fiftyshadesofyumm on Facebook and Instagram using #Fiftyshadesofyumm.
ENJOY AND HAPPY COOKING!
Crispy Oven Baked French Fries
- 6 (1150g) Large Yellow Potatoes
- 2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to bake (or convection/quickbake) at 425°F. Line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper and then coat each lined sheet with the olive oil.
- Fill a large soup pot woth water and bring to a boil.
- Peel and chop potatoes into ¼ inch strips.
- Once water has boiled put the chopped potatoes into the boiling water and continue to boil for 8 minutes.
- After eight minutes have passed drain water from the pot and immediately place potatoes onto the parchement lined and greased pan(s). Make sure potatoes are in a single layer. You may need more than one pan. Sprinke salt evenly over the potatoes.
- Bake in oven for 24 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Flip half way through cooking time.