This is the most fuss free BBQ Chicken Bowl recipe ever! It is the perfect weeknight meal idea because all you need to do is dump everything in your instant pot and walk away. Have a healthy meal that tastes like your favourite BBQ take out on your table in as little as 10 minutes!
Why this BBQ Chicken Bowl is the best
I don't know where you are in the world right now, but here, restaurants are still CLOSED! I know, so sad. So, this craving for BBQ chicken needed to be homemade, quick, easy, healthy and still taste amazeballs. Whenever the question of quick comes up in this household the instant pot takes centre stage. So, if you've never used an Instant pot before, then you are seriously missing out and you need to go get one right now! Trust me, they are a total game changer If you have kids or a busy lifestyle in general. You may be hesitant because you already have a crock pot. Well, get rid of it to make room for the instant pot then! Besides the Instant Pot can slow cook as well. Thats a win-win if you ask me!
Anyways, aside from being super easy and quick, this recipe is also healthy and delicious. The smokey tangy chicken pairs super well with dill pickle coleslaw. I also love piling it on top of a mound of crispy oven baked french fries and then topping it off with some pickle slices and a drizzle of my smokey southwest chipotle sauce. However, this would work well on a toasty brioche bun too. You do you, boo!
Modifications and Substitutions.
- Shred chicken with a hand mixer. Using a hand mixer on a low-med setting would be an efficient way to shred your chicken if you don't want to spend the time doing it by hand with a fork. Just be careful with splashing the molten hot sauce everywhere!
- Add 5 minutes if cooking from frozen. If you didn't already know, you can definitely cook your chicken from frozen in the instant pot! All you need to do is add 5 extra minutes to the cook time.
- Can I substitute the chicken breast for chicken thighs? Yes! Just make sure they are boneless and skinless.
- Can I substitute the chicken for pork? You could try this recipe using approximately 1kg of pork tenderloin instead of the chicken breasts.
Complete this meal with:
BBQ Chicken Bowl | Instant Pot
- Pressure Cooker
- 500 g Raw Chicken Breasts approx. 3 small breasts
- ¾ Cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ tablespoon White Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Basil
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Sliced Dill Pickle garnish
Creamy Dill Coleslaw
- 4 Cups Coleslaw Mix
- 6 tablespoon Creamy Cucumber Dressing
- 2 teaspoon Dill Weed
- Dump all of the ingredients in the instant pot and sir around to mix the ingredients up with the chicken. If useing chicken that is frozen see note below.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and move the valve to the sealing position. Set to pressure cook on high for 8 minutes.
- When cook time has elapsed, do a quick release of the pressure by moving valve to venting. Allow all of the steam to vent completely before attempting to remove the lid of the pressure cooker (you will hear the pin at the top drop).
- Shred chicken using two forks or a hand mixer on low-med speed. Be careful of splattering if you are choosing to use a hand mixer.
- Add a serving of the shredded chicken onto some oven baked french fries (link to recipe above) to complete the bowl. Or enjoy on a toasted brioche bun.
Creamy Dill Coleslaw
- In a large mixing bowl combine the coleslaw mix, creamy cucumber dressing, and dill weed. Mix until well combined.
- Top onto the shredded chicken bowls. Garnish finished bowls with some dill pickle slices and our homemade southwest chipotle sauce (Recipe linked above).