Wow, this is my very first recipe on this blog and I am so very excited to share this wonderful dinner idea with you all. Vodka penne pasta is my favourite meal of all time (so far) and I am sure it will quickly become one of your favourites too.
Now, I am probably the farthest from Italian being a Metis Canadian with a little sprinkling of Irish...which means I am 0% Italian baby! But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate Italian cuisine. In fact, Italian is one of my favourite cuisines to cook/eat next to mexican--hello cheese and carbs! I have absolutely no clue if this is considered a traditional Italian dish, but it sure tastes like it is. The rich and creamy full fat milk coupled with the tanginess of the tomato and vodka is what Italy is all about, right (oh, and aallll the carbs too)? Pair this dish with a nice glass of wine and don't forget the garlic bread on the side.
This recipe is fantastic without meat if you are a vegetarian and it's easy to swap out the milk for a non dairy alternative if you are vegan. This recipe also freezes extremely well. So don't be shy if you have a busy life, just pop it in the freezer for those extra stressful nights when you don't have the energy to cook.
Can I make this in the Instant Pot or the Croc Pot?
I am currently in the middle of developing an instant pot version of this recipe. As I get closer and closer to my due date with my first child, I have been getting increasingly more exhausted--and yes I know its about to get a whole lot more exhausting once my son makes his grand entrance. Therefore, I have fallen madly in love with my Instant pot like many other busy parents. So please make sure you check back on my blog in the coming weeks for instructions on how to make vodka penne pasta in the instant pot.
As for the croc pot. I do believe the vodka in this recipe needs to reach its boiling point to cook off most of the alcohol content. We don't want to be getting drunk off of our pasta, unless you're really into that sort of thing! So, I am unsure if this recipe would work in a slow cooker.
If you've tried this recipe, make sure to comment in the section below to let me know your thoughts!
Also, hop over to Instagram and share a picture of your finished product using the hashtag #fiftyshadesofyumm so that I can see your wonderful creations. Enjoy!
Vodka Penne Pasta
- 350 Grams Penne Noodles Cooked
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 Small White onion Diced
- 3-5 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Lb Ground Chicken
- 680 mL Tomato sauce
- ½ Cup Vodka
- ½ Cup Whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Pink Himilayan Salt
- Basil and Parmesan Cheese To garnish
- In a non stick pan over medium heat add in butter and allow to melt. Once the butter has completely melted stir in the diced onion and minced garlic. Cook until the onion and garlic have become fragrant.
- Add the ground chicken to the pan and cook until the chicken is no longer pink (2-3 minutes). It is okay if the chicken is not entirely cooked at this stage because it will continue to cook in the tomato sauce later on.
- Next, add in your tomato sauce and vodka. You want to bring this to a light boil and simmer for 7 minutes to cook off the alcohol in the vodka.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer if you have not done so yet and stir in your whole milk, oregano, red chili flakes, salt, and cooked pasta. Let everyhing cook on low for another 2-3 minutes and you are ready to serve!
- After plating up your delicious meal, sprinkle on a little fresh grated parmesan and/or fresh basil to add a little extra oomph to the dish.
Leave a Reply