This week we have a quick and easy Vegan Biscuit Pot Pie recipe for those nights that you are craving a warm, cozy and filling meal!
Growing up, my mother used to always insist on making her own pie crusts from scratch. I distinctly remember her telling me a story once where a lady at work was flabbergasted that she made her own pie crust when she could just buy it at the store in the frozen food section. She always said that making pie dough was super easy...for her maybe. I think it's tedious if you ask me. Plus I am a little lazy sometimes!
Whatever the case may be, if you don't feel like making a pie crust but are craving a pot pie this is the recipe for you!
What can I use instead of pie crust?
I have designed this recipe to use leftover biscuits. You can purchase biscuits at your local supermarket or bakery. If you can't find already baked biscuits in the bakery, try the cold section of your supermarket. Pillsbury has a biscuit dough that comes in one of those tubes that you pop open. Just cut those puppies up and bake for the instructed time on the packaging.
Should I pre-bake my biscuits?
Okay so this is a really easy recipe, however there are a couple of options for you to consider. In the recipe instructions below I assume you are using leftover biscuits, which have obviously been previously baked.
Option 1: If you are using a biscuit that has already been baked you will need to assemble all of the other ingredients separately and cook in the oven for 15 minutes before adding the biscuits. You will then remove the pot pie mixture from the oven and place your biscuits on top for another 10-15 minutes. If you add the biscuits too soon they will probably dry out and become hard.
Option 2: If you are using biscuit dough that has not yet been baked, you can pre-bake as the directions say on the packaging and then follow the directions as per option 1 in my recipe. Or you can leave the dough raw and place each uncooked biscuit over the pot pie mixture before placing it in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Vegan Biscuit Pot Pie
- ¼ Cup Vegan (or regular) Margarine
- ¼ Cup Diced onions
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- ¼ Cup Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Black pepper To taste
- 1 ½ Cups Vegetable (or chicken) broth
- ½ Cup Almond milk (or 2% milk)
- 5 Whole Biscuits Cut in half
- 2 Cups Frozen vegetable mix
- 2 Cups Cooked potato Diced
- Preheat oven to 400F and begin boiling potatoes.
- Melt margarine in a medium pan over medium heat. Add in the diced onion and garlic, saute until they become fragrant.
- Mix in the flour to form a paste. Gradually add in the vegetable stock while stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a simmer while continuing to stir.
- Once the lumps have dissapeared add in the almond milk, celery salt and pepper. Continue to cook over medium heat until the mixture has reached a thick gravy consistency. Remove from heat.
- In a 9 x 9 square baking dish add in your frozen vegetables, cooked potato, and gravy mixture. Cover with tin foil and cook in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and add on the biscuits (I like to slice the biscuits in half if they are really thick). Place back in oven uncovered for 10-15 minutes.